Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Kicking a disc = a practice throw Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Kicking a disc = a practice throw Reply with quote

Quote:
QA29: Legal Throwing Styles

Q: Are there any restrictions on how you throw the disc? For example, can you throw nothing but overhand shots?

A: There are no restrictions on how you throw the disc. You may throw backhand, sidearm, overhand, thumber, or any other way that occurs to you. You can throw it with your foot if that works for you. Note: That also means that kicking the disc can be penalized as a practice throw.Applicable Rules: 800 Definitions (Throw); 803.01 General

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted from the PDGA Rules Q & A (v12_2011)

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when someone boots their entire bag and it flies more than 2 meters then that is 1 x (discs in bag) penalty? Hilarious
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
So when someone boots their entire bag and it flies more than 2 meters then that is 1 x (discs in bag) penalty? Hilarious

Paging Human?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

briggs wrote:
Thumber wrote:

Paging Human?

Read my mind
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Throw: The propulsion of a disc that causes it to change its position from the teeing area or the lie.

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:
Throw: The propulsion of a disc that causes it to change its position from the teeing area or the lie.

Ahhh....way to ruin what could be a hilarious warning

"Cool it dude. You kick your bag like that again and you are getting 24 penalty strokes"
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

"Cool it dude. You kick your bag like that again and you are getting 24 penalty strokes"

If you want you can ding him with a practice throw. No warning needed.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

oh I see. It would be a practice throw as you don't have to be on the tee or your lie to get penalized for that.

So if you kick your entire bag, could you technically be called for multiple practice throws, assuming the entire bag of discs travels more than 2 meters?
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

oh I see. It would be a practice throw as you don't have to be on the tee or your lie to get penalized for that.

So if you kick your entire bag, could you technically be called for multiple practice throws, assuming the entire bag of discs travels more than 2 meters?

I think that's a question you should send to the PDGA.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

If called on this, I would argue that I didn't touch the discs, but instead the bag, therefore I didn't kick the disc.

I have kicked a disc in mock disgust before.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:

If called on this, I would argue that I didn't touch the discs, but instead the bag, therefore I didn't kick the disc.

what if discs went flying out after you kicked the bag?

just havin fun here
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:

what if discs went flying out after you kicked the bag?

just havin fun here

But I didn't kick the disc. I kicked the bag. If I kicked the putter out of it's pocket, by kicking the disc, then I'd say Practice Throw by definition.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently Carlton Howard penalized a player at a tournament for throwing his bag. They counted each disc in the bag as a throw.....crazy....got that when I put this same thread up on dgcr
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
801.01 Courtesy
A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

B. Players should take care not to produce any distracting noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are throwing. Examples of discourteous actions are: shouting, cursing, freestyling, slapping course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a violation of courtesy.

C. Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, etc., is a courtesy violation.

D. Littering is a courtesy violation.

E. Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Smokers should extinguish their cigarettes and carry their cigarette butts to a trash can. Disposing of cigarette butts by dropping them on the ground is littering.

F. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

In section B, it states a player "should take care not to produce any distracting noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are throwing." Do you have to kick a bag during a throw to get the warning?
Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make for a fast trip to last place.

I don't think i would stop laughing for the whole day.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
apparently Carlton Howard penalized a player at a tournament for throwing his bag. They counted each disc in the bag as a throw.....crazy....got that when I put this same thread up on dgcr

But the player didn't throw the disc? He/she threw their bag?

Maybe hit 'em up with:

Quote:
802.04 Artificial Devices
A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a
throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape,
bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player's hand or artificially lengthens any of the player's throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a
round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial
device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. A player who uses an
artificial device after it has been determined by the director to be in violation of 802.04 A
has also violated Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual and shall be penalized accordingly.

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:

But the player didn't throw the disc? He/she threw their bag?

Maybe hit 'em up with:

Quote:
802.04 Artificial Devices
A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a
throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape,
bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player's hand or artificially lengthens any of the player's throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a
round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial
device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. A player who uses an
artificial device after it has been determined by the director to be in violation of 802.04 A
has also violated Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual and shall be penalized accordingly.

Sounds to me more like someone was being a dick and the other player mis-applied the rules. I bet an appeal to a TD would see on over-ruling, but perhaps the player would be penalized for being un-courteous ???
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes in St. Thomas once tried hitting one of the Ottawa players with Practice Throw penalties when he was trying to knock a disc out of a tree with a water bottle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: