Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Cell Phones During a Round
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Cell Phones During a Round Reply with quote

The Official Rules are silent on the subject of cell phones (other than, perhaps, that they are a distraction, and subject to penalty under the courtesy violation rule should the go off).

The Competition Manual is not:

Section 3: Player Code of Conduct
D. Players are not permitted to have active cell phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense really. The official rules should just be about the game of disc golf. The competition rules should rule on the environement around the game of disc golf.

Cell phones suck.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
...Cell phones suck.
thumbsup
Andrew
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose you want to use a scorecard app on your phone at league night or a tournament, then copy your result to a card once you are done all 18 holes.

Does the PDGA allow it?
Does the ODGC?
Does the match play league?
TOSS?
Best CF score for the season?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it only matters in MP if your opponent complains.
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Suppose you want to use a scorecard app on your phone at league night or a tournament, then copy your result to a card once you are done all 18 holes.

Does the PDGA allow it?
Does the ODGC?
Does the match play league?
TOSS?
Best CF score for the season?

PDGA 805.02 A. States:
Quote:
The player listed first on the scorecard(s) bears primary responsibility for picking up the group's scorecard(s).
This indicates that the scorecard at a PDGA event must be provided by the TD (or organizing group).

All other applicable sections of 805.02 make reference to the scorecard for reporting of and recording scores, so the assumption can safely be made that the word "scorecard" refers to the implied definition in 805.02 A.

Therefore, I would posit that using an electronic device to record the round scores, and then transferring them to the paper scorecard at the end of a round is not a legal activity according to the PDGA.

Regarding the use of anything but the scorecard provided by the TD at a TOSS event:

The use of any device other than the official scorecard provided by the TD to record the scores of a TOSS round is strictly prohibited, with the following exception:

Should the official scorecard provided by the TD become lost, destroyed, or otherwise unusable, an alternate means of recording holes scores may be used by players on the card, once the method of recording scores is agreed upon by the members of the card. This alternate method must record hole-by-hole scores.

At the conclusion of the round, the card members must obtain a replacement official scorecard from the TD, and transcribe the round scores onto the replacement scorecard. If a replacement scorecard is not obtained from the TD, each card member shall be penalized as though his or her score was recorded incorrectly in accordance with PDGA 805.02 H. 2.

Last edited by lissyssil on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there would be any issue of using the phone as a personal backup / verification or double check, but the score card should be the primary source.

I think post round transcribing opens up the potential for errors.

Plus if I want to see the card during the round I shouldn't have to ask for someone's phone.
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
One of two reasons why it's not allowed at TOSS.

The second: What if your battery dies in the middle of the round?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lissyssil wrote:
Thumber wrote:
One of two reasons why it's not allowed at TOSS.

The second: What if your battery dies in the middle of the round?

Plus its much easier to change someone's score with no way to detect it. Not an issue in our club, but it does happen even with paper score cards.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a Samsung Galaxy, or a iPod, these aren't phones. The use of a tablet to record scores shouldn't be an issue. It's the distraction of a phone or "audible pagers". It's the distraction factor.

For the Best Of, it clearly states a paper scorecard must be used and handed in. Unless you plan to hand in your e-device...
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another spot a phone/texter distraction could occur is in the Courtesy rules:

Quote:
801.04 Courtesy
Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present.

Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation.

Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, is a courtesy violation.

Littering is a courtesy violation.

Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Disposing of a cigarette butt by dropping it on the ground is littering.

A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

Eyes in your lap (texting) wouldn't allow you to "watch the other members of their group throw".
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule has changed since Bourgie's post:

Quote:
Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players, prevent the player from effectively interacting with his group during scorekeeping tasks, or provide a safety hazard for the player by not hearing "Fore!" calls from other players or warning blasts by the Tournament Director.

It's all about the sound.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone on my card is texting during a competitive round you can rest assured that the time limits will be strictly enforced. Its maddening to have to tell phone guys its their turn, again, for the 4th time
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a cell once when I lived alone attending school. Financially made cents (yes Holly that was on purpose). Its my goal to never own one again unless my employer pays for it or is paid by the gov through a tax write off-due to it being a necessity of employment.

Last edited by Rolly on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: