Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Bags on Hills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't read all of that thread, but I call b.s.
To see a shot approaching you and to not try and get out of the way of it is interference. It's a question of will and intent.

It's like in bolf, where you aren't allowed to test the surface of the green. I've seen it judged on a player once. Player A squatted down, and rubbed the surface of the green. That's a test if you're doing it to see which way the grass is growing. Player B saw him do it, and complained to an official. The official turned to the offending player and asked him, "where you testing the surface when you rubbed it?"
Player A responded, "no, I had a bug on my hand" or something like that. He was not further penalized.

It sounds stupid, and could have been an honest mistake, or it could have been an attempt to cheat. Player A didn't do that again.

Now, if I'm watching someone doink the basket and their disc is rolling back towards them, and you can see they're tracking it and just not moving hoping it'll hit them or miss, it comes down to intent. If there is no attempt to even consider clearing a path, I'm going to call that person out. If they flinch and touch it but clearly didn't mean to, it's unintentional. All of these situations are covered in the rules.

And there's no way I'm taking a two stroke penalty for moving my bag out of the way of another person's shot. As far as their concerned, I shouldn't even be there.

Heck, in all likelihood, they're going to be wishing just that.
smile
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the rules committee you are under no obligation to try to get out of the way of your own rolling disc. Seems like an oversight on the RC's part
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
According to the rules committee you are under no obligation to try to get out of the way of your own rolling disc. Seems like an oversight on the RC's part

C'mon. Interfering with your own disc is legal as long as you freeze. Who's making this stuff up?

Sorry. Fail. That should be called interference every time.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
Thumber wrote:

C'mon. Interfering with your own disc is legal as long as you freeze. Who's making this stuff up?

Sorry. Fail. That should be called interference every time.

should be, but...

Cgkdisc wrote:
No intentional interference, in fact, you shouldn't move out of the way unless you might get hurt. More likely to get an intentional interference call if you move and actually contact the moving disc.

and

Cgkdisc wrote:
It's not that you can't move, just that you aren't required to move. The only negative is if you appear to make deliberate movements to specifically interfere with the disc. Then, you get the penalty. And regarding your bag, unless it looks like you specifically left it in a position that was suspect, it should not be moved once the throw is underway. Having the bag on the ground beside you even when below the basket is not inherently subject to penalty unless other players have asked you to move it above the basket.

and

Cgkdisc wrote:
It's only intentional if the player acts, i.e. actually moves to interfere with intent. Standing in place is intentional only in taking that position BEFORE the throw is underway. In a way it's like charging versus blocking in basketball. The "blocker" is not called for the foul if they remain in place.

burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the charging blocking analogy. I didn't realize disc golf was an "us vs them position and score points" sort of team game.

Perhaps if the disc is still gaining elevation, you could knock it out of the air as a legal blocked shot, but if it's descending, it would be called goal tending, er, interference.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person would have to really boff it to try and move out of the way and still get hit.

The more I read from this guy, the more I get the sense that he likes to try and "think like another player". He writes to try and isolate the rules according to how a person might perceive a situation.

Example (emphasis added):
Cgkdisc wrote:
No intentional interference, in fact, you shouldn't move out of the way unless you might get hurt. More likely to get an intentional interference call if you move and actually contact the moving disc.

There it is. You're more likely to get a call. He's thinking like a certain type of other player. I cry foul! It sounds to me like he's trying to tell you how to manage the people you play golf with. That's just insane.

You can't write rules based on the subjectivity of others' feelings and interpretations.

Last edited by burjwahzeh on Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bags on Hills Reply with quote

Maxii07 wrote:

Hello, thank you for sharing this information smile

Spammer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: